There are many variables that go into the recovery process. Make it easier on your body by avoiding excessive drinking, heat exposure, and sleepless nights. Here are five nutrient-dense foods that will help speed up the recovery and regeneration process...
1. Lentils. Lentils are a great source for protein, slow-digesting carbohydrates, and fiber. They are rich in folate, niacin, vitamin E, and have a good source of minerals such as zinc, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium.
2. Fatty fish. Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna, and sardines, contain omega-3 fatty acids, which are potent anti-inflammatory molecules.
3. Almonds. Almonds are an easy, nutrient-packed snack to intake. They are rich in protein, fiber, healthy fats, and vitamins/minerals (especially vitamin E). Vitamin E is a fat-soluble antioxidant that protects cells from the damaging effects of free radicals, and plays a role in anti-inflammatory processes, inhibition of platelet aggregation, and immune function.
4. Kale. Kale contains plenty of iron and calcium. It is rich in vitamins C, K, and A, and contains antioxidants along with omega-3 fatty acids.
5. Sweet potato. Sweet potato is a starchy carbohydrate, perfect for the post-workout recovery to restore glycogen levels. They are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B6, as well as beta-carotene, iron, potassium, and magnesium.